Schmidt began his artistic training in Weimar but the outburst of WWI forced him to interrupt his education until 1918. By 1919 he joined the Bauhaus, first as a student, then running wood carving workshop under Schlemmer and Itten. In 1921 he contributed to decorate the Sommerfeld House and the lobby of Weimar’s Bauhaus building. He headed the sculpture workshop and became Director of the commercial art department. He created the publicity work for the city of Dessau, worked as typeface designer and collaborated with Gropius on the German people exhibition in Berlin in 1934. He was also Professor at the Berlin University for the preparatory course in architecture.